Posted on: Oct. 16th, 2018 | By Vivi, WayKen Project Manager
CNC machined aluminum parts are becoming great options for many industries. As one of the most popular materials, aluminum performs excellent mechanical properties. In terms of machining materials, aluminum machined parts are the most economical as they can be used by CNC machining for a shorter time than other metals. Aluminum machined products also have added strength, corrosion, and rust resistance.
Furthermore, aluminum machined parts are chemical resistant, electrically conductive, malleable, and possess high strength. Today, CNC machined aluminum parts are widely used in automotive, aerospace, military, medical, and industrial engineering. These parts require precision, WayKen rapid manufacturing is one of the reliable factories of precision CNC machined aluminum parts in China.
Product design develops rapidly and product developers turn their attention from mass production to low-volume manufacturing. Low volume CNC aluminum parts play essential roles in the product process, thus WayKen’s deep understanding of special aluminum CNC machining requirements and state-of-the-art equipment help us achieve this distinction.
1. CNC Machining Services by Wayken
- Precision CNC milling: WayKen is equipped with a wide range of milling machines including 3-axis and 5-axis, which helps us to produce precision machined CNC parts.
- Turning: WayKen is also equipped with a turning machine in the house. Additionally, offering sub-operations, such as knurling, drilling, EDM, etc.
2. Advantages of Low Volume CNC Machining
- No tooling investment: A die casting tooling usually cost a large amount of investment, with CNC machining, it would save a lot of start-up costs, which also reduce the financial risks eventually.
- Short lead time: It usually takes at least 30 days to build up tooling, but CNC machining helps to shorten the schedule to launch the market, it will help the client seizing the market a-step advance competitor either.
- More precision: CNC machining offers better tolerance than a casted part, if you need a precision part, CNC machining would be more an appropriate pattern.
- Better surface finish: The visual parts would usually make from CNC machining, as the surface is really great, even without any post finish.
- More post finishes available: With a CNC machined aluminum part, it is available for almost any kind of secondary finish, no matter anodize, powder coating or e-coating, chromate.
3. Wide selection of Materials for Low Volume CNC Aluminium Machining
- Aluminum 6061: This is one of the most popular aluminum, due to its excellent mechanical properties and weldability, easy to anodize. Aluminum 6061 is also commonly used for extrusion, for its good toughness, medium to high strength, excellent corrosion resistance in harsh environments, easy anodization, and good workability.
- Aluminum 7075: Another popular aluminum grade after 6061, aluminum 7075 is well-known for its excellent fatigue strength, which is most commonly used for tough components, such as aircraft wings, and fuselages, bicycle components, rock climbing equipment. AL7075 is also widely used as a reflector for automotive due to its better polish properties. This alloy has better corrosion resistance than the aluminum 2000 alloys.
- Aluminum 2024: This grade is widely used in aerospace and military applications, as its high fatigue resistance, high strength, and susceptibility to thermal shocks.
- Aluminum 5052: This is mostly used for sheet metal processes, as well as for building machine parts, and components to be used in saltwater environments. Aluminum 5052 offers good resistance to marine, saltwater, and industrial environments. The grade is easily punched, bent, and sheared into desired shapes.
- Aluminum 6063: The grade performs excellent mechanical properties, such as easy weldability, heat treatability, and durability. This grade is commonly used for creating complex shapes with smooth surfaces and is commonly used in applications such as door frames, window frames, sign frames, roofs, etc.
The above materials are WayKen’s regular used grade, more options are available upon request.
4. One-Stop Post Finishes for Low Volume CNC Aluminum Parts
- Anodize: This is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts, and the parts could be anodized in any color as per requirement, AL6061 has a better anodize effect other than AL7075.
- Alodine: It is primarily used as a corrosion inhibitor, primer, decorative finish, or to retain electrical conductivity.
- Baking Finish: Using a special electrostatic spray gun, make use of the airstream ejected by compressed air, which forms a pressure difference with the pipe connected with the paint tank, so that the paint liquid is sucked up from the paint tank, and the airstream of compressed air is brought to the nozzle, which is blown into fine mist uniform spraying and the workpiece surface.
- Powder Coating: The powder is sprayed on the surface of the parts in the presence of an electrostatic field, and then solidified at high temperature to form a protective layer. The biggest difference between powder coating and baking finish is the quality of the finish. Baking finishes can run, show brush strokes, or spray patterns. Powder coatings never run and are always uniform and even.
- E-Coating: With e-coating, the substrate is soaked in a bath that may consist of paint, epoxy, or other water-based solution. An electric current is then used to attract the particles that are suspended in the liquid solution and deposit them onto the surface of the substrate. The electrodeposition would continue until the desired level of coating thickness is achieved, which can be controlled by increasing or decreasing the voltage level.
5. Popular Low Volume Aluminum Parts by CNC machining
- Spline Shafts
- Worm Gears
- Dials and Scales
- EMI- proof Housings
- Front Panels
- Dowel Pins
- Optical Reflectors
- Lighting Fixtures
Working with the Right Low Volume CNC Manufacturer
No matter you need precision machined parts or durable parts for your aerospace applications or automotive component, WayKen can easily assist you. Our broad industry experience, combined with our expertise, enables us to deliver complex projects in a short period. We are able to accommodate any challenge with ease. Welcome to contact us to know more about our aluminum CNC machining or other metal machining services, we look forward to hearing from you soon.