Posted on: Oct 12th, 2020, | By WayKen Rapid Manufacturing
Motorcycles have found a big frenzy in the South Asian countries, Asian countries, and in some Western European countries as well. Given the swift mobility, higher mileage, and relatively affordable costs, alongside some personalization is preferred largely by people. And this has been made possible with CNC machining of bespoke motorcycle parts.
Explore more tips for CNC aluminum here, let’s see together how we bespoke motorcycle parts for you.
Customization has become a popular concept as design personalization rises and while cars are customized, bikes, too, are taking the same path ahead. On top of this, CNC machined parts are desirable for bespoke parts of automobiles as they promise to do the job better given their high-quality and reliability.
But amid all these beliefs and the rising popularity of customization and CNC machining, let us draw a 360-degree evaluation and the suitability of CNC machining for bespoke motorbike parts.
Starting with the Basics: The Need for CNC Machining in the Automobile industry
Computerized machining has become an inseparable concept for producing a large variety of different items. CNC machines can easily product motorcycle parts in large numbers which can be easily changed, replaced, and renewed without many efforts, both technically and economically.
For example, parts such as body cover are damaged easily and more frequently. They get scratched and brushed against road pavements needing facing high wear and tear. Thus, it goes without saying, that these parts need maintenance, replacement, etc. And CNC machines produce these parts without heavy investments, as once the codes are generated they can be replicated many times. Read along to find more details here.
Everything You Need to know about CNC machining with a Focus on Customization in Motorbike Parts
Here we bring you a complete guide to make a decision for mass customization in producing motorbike’s parts using a CNC machine technique.
The History of customized motorbike parts
Cars are into customization for a long time. But for bikes, the concept is pretty recent only when, Harley Davidson, the pioneers of automobiles launched the concept. It was back in 1971 when the manufacturing giant launched the factory customization for more customer drawings.
Here our another blog maybe you are interested in: How CNC Motorcycle Parts to Make Your Bike Cooler
However, things between then and now have changed dramatically. Back then the concept of CNC machine too had just evolved – dating back in the late 1950s, 1958 precisely. But as our knowledge of CNC machines and computers broadened, we started making more elite and effective NC codes. And customization gradually started becoming the norm.
As stated earlier motorbike manufacturing sees high demand for customization. And customization means smaller lead time, increased design customization, longer design time, and delayed manufacturing. With traditional manufacturing methods, these factors lead to delay in delivery to the customer, and eventually, often resulting in losing the customers altogether.
As against this, when using CNC machines, once designs are made clear, and machine operation codes are set, the elements or bike parts can be made within time.
It goes without saying that the smaller the automobile, the less complex are its parts. And hence, logically it follows that customizing a motorbike is far easier than customization of a car, primarily because of the way they are built.
Today, an online 3D integrative product configurator offers you to build your bikes from zero, literally. All the inputs are provided by the customer from an available design pallet. These inputs are quickly transformed into relevant manufacturing drawings, CNC machine programs, and custom Bill of Materials [BoM. Not only this, these engineering are created error-free and released for shop floor manufacturing the same day. All thanks to CNC machines and automation!
At WayKen our 3 axes CNC machines and 5 axes CNC aluminum machines are capable to handle bulk machining and mass customization dedicated to the automobile industry.
Right from aesthetics to engineering, we take care of everything that you need to enhance the features and performance of your motorbike and stay unique. Below is a comprehensive list of all parts that we machine and produce in custom and/or bespoke form:
- Customized wheels for desired aesthetics
- Complete engine customization to meet the bike application and overall performance as per the designs. Subparts of the engine include:
- Cylinder and cylinder head
- Camshafts and cranks
- Pistons, valves, and other connectors
- Connecting rods
- Jackets for coolants
- Motorbike headlights
- Body cover, seat, patterns, carving, indents, etc.
There is a general notion that customization often ends up in losses for both parties; the seller and the maker. Here in the case of an automobile, as per this popular belief, the customers and manufacturers of custom parts both will see losses. Even despite the use of the CNC machine!
Howbeit, that is only a myth!
Because, ideally, customized parts do appear to be costly at first. But given the rising customer involvement right since the design specification stage, any manufacturer who doesn’t inculcate this idea will eventually be out of the race altogether.
Thus, investment for customization, delays in the supply chain, the need for an agile manufacturing ecosystem, the capacity of the shop floor to handle the fluctuating manufacturing orders, getting used to having zero inventory, and practicing lean manufacturing could be some very big changes that manufacturers need to make. But that will only lead to better days ahead.
As far as the total project cost is concerned, it is almost impossible to tell for any customized product. Well, because the product is customized and that is the beauty of bespoke parts!
To explain further, when you customize and build your automobile from scratch, you are essentially choosing the material, color, grade, quality, complexity in designs and all these things will directly impact the cost.
But one thing is sure that using a CNC machine for part customization isn’t going to add heavily to your budget. If you are planning to invest in long term projects, it is highly advisable that you do collaborate with an experienced CNC machinist or a pioneer CNC machining firm to guide you through your journey.
If you, as a manufacturer are ready to develop this agile ecosystem and go lean, WayKen is your partner in achieving engineering wonders with our state of art CNC machine shops swiftly handling bulk metal right from aluminum, cast iron, stainless steel, copper, etc.
Why Should You Use CNC Machined Parts for Two-wheeled Automobiles?
- High-Quality Precision Achieved: It is a no-brainer that CNC machines especially with multi-axes features take your entire manufacturing process to set the new bars of quality, reduce time dramatically, and achieve precision like never before. And in a machine part as critical as an engine part or its sub-part precision manufacturing is of the highest importance. Ideally, with design customization, the customer also asks for testing of strength and functionality of the parts such as frame, wheels, body, etc. Thus, the surface will need coating and processes like anodizing and others of the kind. With a CNC machine lathe in place, these processes can be taken care of easily.
- Secondary Machine Operations: Furthermore, CNC machines are capable of performing secondary machining processes as well with almost the same efficiency. This plays a critical role in giving that edge over your competitors by achieving better surface finish, good aesthetics, and enhanced joints like welds, etc. and high-quality polishing.
- Unchanged Part Reliability: As far as reliability of ordered CNC machine parts is concerned, they are just as good as the ones bought off the shelf from the stores. In fact, some of those parts made by CNC machines only just that they have been made to standard, while you are getting them customized by making your specific orders to tailor your bike’s needs.
- Higher Part Durability: Depending upon the material you are using as the base material during machining the durability of the part may vary. But all in all, the durability of any CNC machined part is higher than the traditional machining, given that the automated machining processes do not affect any other part of the workpiece other than the ones intended to.
A Wrap up: Bringing it All Together
To cut everything short, customization lets your imagination flow, while CNC machines keep your engineering principles grounded. With customization comes its inherent set of challenges. And to overcome these challenges one needs something that keeps them in touch with reality and resolves all the challenges met.
And in the case of a bespoke motorbike parts manufacturing, CNC machines along with mass customization performs the job that no other can.
If you are looking to venture into bespoke motorbike part manufacturing contact today and our teams of highly qualified engineers, CNC machinists, and automobile specialists are available at your ready disposal. Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more insights.